Saturday, September 26, 2009

Off to the Coast.

From Mokuti, we headed towards the coast making a stopover at Erongo Wilderness Lodge. The lodge is just off the beaten track and built in between huge stone croppings. Crazy to think that all the building materials had to be carried up to the site. We even had to be transported to the lodge by a 4x4 just to get over the top.

We spent one night there and were treated to baboons and a beautiful sunset. From our tented rooms (with ensuite) we could sit and enjoy the surrounding serenity. Something that is actually very easy to find in this country.

From Erongo, we made our way to Swakopmund. This was were I had spent my New Year on the beach. We rented a flat and weren't too sure what it would be like. I had some help from our neighbours next to the lodge who helped plan this trip and they recommended a flat over a hotel room. And it ended up being the right choice.

The flat had 2 bedrooms, kitchen, living room and large balcony overlooking the ocean. It even had a garage for the Toyota to sleep in. No doubt the right choice, and much cheaper. I even paid for it!!!

We explored Swakopmund and I was able to get out and wander on my own. A few bars pulled me in and I met some more great people. It so happened that there would be an Oktoberfest that weekend and we were keen on checking it out. With a full band and 100 people, I think the whole town showed up!

Every evening was spent on the balcony waiting for the sun to go down and every night the sunset turned out perfect!

Just before we left Swakopmund our little Toyota suffered its first flat tire.

No comments: